What’s the best software for rental property management?

I’m starting to look into property management software and was wondering what others are using. There’s a ton of options out there: Buildium, AppFolio, RentRedi, DoorLoop. And it’s kind of hard to tell what’s actually good without trying them all.

I’ve got a few rentals, so I don’t need anything super fancy, but something that can handle rent collection, maintenance requests, and maybe some basic accounting would be ideal.

If you’ve used any of these (or something else entirely), I’d love to hear what’s worked for you and what to avoid. Just trying to figure out what makes the most sense before I commit to anything.

2 Likes

I tried Rentec Direct and Stessa, then moved to DoorLoop last year and haven’t looked back.

I’ve been exploring a few options for managing smaller rental portfolios and found that many mainstream tools tend to feel overcomplicated once you move past the basics. A balanced approach is to use software that keeps things straightforward, online rent payments, maintenance tracking, and essential accounting, without forcing a steep learning curve or heavy subscription fees.

A resource worth checking out is https://property-store.co.uk/. It provides practical tools for landlords and agents to manage listings, tenants, and enquiries in one place, with an emphasis on usability and organisation. It’s especially helpful for those managing multiple properties but not at the scale of large property firms.

The most important thing is to choose a system that integrates naturally into your daily process rather than adding extra admin work. Starting with something intuitive and scalable ensures smooth growth without having to migrate later on.

Any other info on it and is it only for the UK? Do you work for the company?

To add to this; I have used apartments.com; we had signed up to a company that got bought out by them and it shifted over so our free account has more bells and whistles than the one now. Not perfect but great for our use.

If you want something simple but solid for rent collection, maintenance tracking, and basic accounting without all the extra complexity, I’d recommend Innago. It’s easy to use, affordable, and great for small/mid-size portfolios: https://innago.com/

You’re asking the right question. Most people only realize the differences after they’ve already committed to one.

In 2026, for a small number of rentals, tools like Buildium or RentRedi still do the job well. They’re straightforward and cover rent collection, maintenance tickets, and basic accounting. DoorLoop is also a solid option if you prefer a cleaner, more modern interface.

Where things usually change is when your setup gets a bit more complex, like multiple properties, different owners, or when you need proper financial reporting instead of just tracking payments. That’s where these tools can start to feel limited.

At that stage, I’ve seen people shift toward more structured platforms like Dynamic Netsoft, especially when they want operations, accounting, and reporting all in one system instead of juggling multiple tools.

If you’re just starting, keep it simple. Just keep scalability in mind, because most landlords end up switching once their portfolio grows.

Is anyone building their own with AI, as a software how do you protect yourself from this?

I’ve tested a few of these platforms and honestly the “best” one depends on how fast you plan to grow. For a few rentals, DoorLoop and RentRedi are probably the easiest to get started with because they’re simple, modern, and cover the basics like rent collection, maintenance tracking, and tenant communication pretty well. Buildium is also solid if you want stronger accounting and reporting as your portfolio grows.

One thing I’d suggest though: think beyond just today’s needs. A lot of smaller landlords eventually outgrow lightweight tools and then face painful migrations later. That’s why it’s worth also looking at Dynamic Netsoft Technologies if you want something more scalable around property operations and ERP integration through Microsoft Dynamics 365. Their solutions are more geared toward long-term real estate management rather than just basic rental tracking.

You can check them out here: https://dnetsoft.com/

For a small portfolio, DoorLoop or RentRedi are probably the easiest wins. But if you expect to scale seriously, I’d compare future flexibility and accounting depth before committing.